What are Surplus Funds?


When a residence is foreclosed upon, the proceeds go to pay off the mortgage (the mortgage lender is usually who foreclosed to begin with), and any other liens, judgments or debts on the property.  If there are funds left over, they are called Surplus Funds, and they belong to the borrower.

A petition to recover these Surplus Funds has to be filed with the court to request recovery.  It can be a daunting task for those not familiar with the process.

If you have received a notice that there are Surplus Funds on property you used to own which has been foreclosed, contact me to explore if I can help you recover those funds.


Disclaimer: This information on this site is not legal advice. You should call an attorney for help with your specific situation. Reading this site does not create an attorney-client relationship with our law office. You do not become a client until you enter into a written agreement signed by you and the attorney.


Phone:  919.647-9599
Fax:  919-887-2976


5511 Capital Center Dr

Suite 180
Raleigh NC  27606



© 2019 by Ruth Allen Law, PLLC   Photo credits to Kenneth E. Walker, Jr.